Friday, December 9, 2011

Memorizing with my daughter


Earlier this year, following the example of Bethlehem Baptist church, I asked Makayla and Ethan if they wanted to memorize the book of Philippians with me. Ethan was pretty sure he wouldn't be able to. He tried for a bit but in the end it was too big of a bite for him. Makayla, being older, was able to memorize well. At first she wasn't sure she would be able to do it, but as we started working through the book she was easily able to keep up with me. In fact, I was the one trying to keep up!

It became somewhat of a competition after awhile. We've recited to each other, countless times, the amount of the book that we know. 

While in Broken Bow, both of us were able to get about 2 and a half chapters of the book memorized. Then we moved to Haiti. In the midst of moving, both of us put memorizing on hold. Not on purpose, but we just didn't make it a priority to do it in the midst of big change. 

After awhile of being here I thought that it had probably been too long to pick it up again. I thought I probably forgot too much of it and would have to re-memorize ground that we had already covered. We talked about it a few times but neither of us really had the drive to dive back in. 

Makayla came into our room a few weeks ago and asked if I wanted to listen to how much of the book she could recite. She started memorizing again! So I did too. We are now about 15 or 16 verses from having the entire book down.

We sort of just stumbled upon this idea and it has been a huge blessing to both of us. I mention it here because if you have older kids it's worth considering doing something like this with them. Especially for dads. It's been a source of fellowship, mutual encouragement, and it's been fun. And, most importantly, we are able to hide God's Word in our heart.

1 comment:

  1. That is awesome! I have been memorizing Hebrews over the last year, a chapter at a time. I'm afraid I can't still recite every chapter but it has been such a blessing being able to recite a whole chapter when days are tough.

    ReplyDelete