Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Secret

I looked at the sun coming up this morning out of our picture window. The scene out of that window is amazing. Sitting up on a hill, our rented home gives us a great view. The hills and trees are very green. The corn is coming up quickly.  We watch sunsets and sunrises. Storms do not catch us by surprise. It has been pure grace for God to let us live here.
Looking over the landscape from our house, enjoying a cup of House Blend, the obvious occurs to me: we are only passing through. This is not my home! Literally. This house and land and view don't belong to me. I am a temporary tenant. My days of looking out of that window are limited. One day soon I will wake up and will not see what I see this morning.
In that moment the words of Paul said to me: "I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need."
The secret: God is my strength. "I can do all things through him who strengthens me."

My home, security, and strength cannot come from 79580 Road 445, Broken Bow, Nebraska.
My home is not Broken Bow! Or McCook. Or Minneapolis. Or Scottsbluff. Or Omaha. Or Port Au Prince, Haiti.
The secret is not found in a place, but a person.
The man Christ Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment