Sunday, January 2, 2011

Jim Halpert

We, as Americans, take pride in our nation, as we should. It's a good country. Possibly the best in many ways that has ever existed. We have relatively low corruption, lots of educational and vocational opportunities, pretty good government, a great Constitution, a good economy (even when we say it's bad), and people in my generation have experienced prolonged periods of peace.

The other day I was talking to the kids and Andrea about all the great stuff we get that we never worked or sacrificed for. It was simply bestowed to us by guys, that many of us have never heard of and some names we mightrecognize. Think about it. Most of us were just born into this?!?

We take for granted that our government of checks and balances really does a pretty good job of keeping corruption in check. When corruption is reined in things simply work better. We also take for granted great resources, like libraries, public utilities, big huge clean grocery stores and parents that provided for us. Though, sometimes we cross over the line and start deceiving ourselves into thinking that we, us personally, actually did this - that somehow, we are completely responsible for what we have. That is just not true. We were blessed with it! It was given to us.

Paul was addressing this issue on a spiritual level when he asked, "Why do you boast in what was given to you?" So all of that thinking out loud leads to this:
Today, I met a guy named LeFleur. It means flower in English. He joked about it and said it was fine if I just called him flower. He caught my attention last time I was here. He plays the keyboard on the worship team at Pastor Rigaud's church. He's one of those guys that just has a clean look in his eyes, you know what I mean? A guy that you would trust. He reminded me of Jim Halpert from The Office right away. Just an all around stand-up guy that seems to have a very pure heart and you can't help but like him.
As I spoke with him I learned that he speaks pretty good English. He was translating for me. I also learned that he taught himself English but he actually speaks Spanish more fluently. I think he also speaks French because that is one of the official languages here (it's taught in all the schools). Then, of course, he speaks Haitian Creole!

So here is a guy, who's character seems to stand out in a crowd, he's a faithful member serving in his church, he's very personable, a good communicator, he can play the piano very well and he's quadri-lingual! Amazing.

He also happens to live in Haiti. That is not a bad thing. I like Haiti. It has lots of good qualities and God has been working here for a long time. He has blessed this country and these people with blessings that you and I should pray for. But LeFluer, like us, has been bestowed with a certain set of circumstances that were completely out of his control. He didn't choose any of the stuff that is going on in Haiti: the corruption in government, the poverty, the cholera, the lack of vocational opportunities. He just got it.
I know there are many lessons here about thankfulness and pride and giving but we won't get into all of that. I just wanted to communicate a story of a real person in Haiti that is doing his best to glorify God in the circumstances he's in. He was a blessing to me today and I wanted to tell some of his story.

No comments:

Post a Comment