Saturday, January 1, 2011

HAITI

Because of procrastination and just plain busyness I didn't write anything on this blog about my trip to Haiti. After I left I thought I'd be able to write a bit while waiting in the airports. But it turns out that Omaha was the only one that had free WiFi and I didn't really want to buy 24 hours on internet time from Miami International Airport.
I'm here though. Dean Yoder (Prez of CWO) and I are staying at a place that looks like it would absolutely NOT have internet, let alone wireless internet. And believe it or not it's a bit faster than my Verizon wireless in Broken Bow! I also happen to have a free afternoon on my hands to rest before the next 9 busy days. So, that means I can write!

I left my wife and kids in Omaha and boarded my plane at 3ish (PM) and stopped in Dallas for about 5 minutes and then went on to Miami. I slept in a corner on the floor, off and on, for about 4 hours (pic. on right). We left Miami around 7:30 a.m. and are now in PAP!

So far I've seen lots and lots of tents. Some real and some that are just pieced together. Think tin and tarps. Pastor Joel said that was just a fraction of how many there are around the city. The airport in Port is nicer and calmer than it was last time I was here. I think some of the improvements came post-earthquake. We're staying in a walled-in compound that is basically like a hotel, but it feels like I'm sleeping and showering outside. And I kind of am. It's sort of like the "old-time" missionaries except lots easier.

Tomorrow I get to go back to Pastor Rigaud's church. I am very excited about that. Last time we were here it was THE highlight of the trip. Then on Monday the Conference for Pastors begins. I'm really looking forward to hearing more about their lives and churches and families. Pray that God would be honored in all of it and that I could learn. A lot. The learning curve is pretty steep right now and I want to be as effective as possible in Haiti once we are here long-term.

I'll try to post later as I am able.
In Christ Alone,
Jason

1 comment:

  1. God bless you for your faithfullness Jason. May he poor out his grace and mercy on you and the people of Haiti. Youve been on my mind and I will be in touch with you. Praying for you Brother !

    Nathan Huegel

    ReplyDelete